8/14/2008

I LOVE HER. I HONESTLY LOVE HER.

This morning, while getting ready for work, I plunked down on the stairs next to my daughter, threw my arm over her shoulder and I asked her about the book she's been reading the past few days.

Sakes alive.

Madigan, much like her father, has no ability to edit. None. She droned on and on about every single excruciating detail of this 150 page book, sprinkled with the obvious, "Oh! Wait, I forgot this one part where..."

Twenty motherfuckingminutes later I had to cut her off. Cause if I didn't I was going to shove her face into the dog hair covered stairway carpeting just to muffle the sound of her voice so my ears could stop bleeding on to my work dress.

Honestly I should have known better because a few weeks ago my husband took her to see WALL*E and I couldn't be there so when they returned I'd asked her what it was all about. It took her nearly a half hour to describe a movie that has NO TALKING for the first hour.

How could I let this happen again?

My brain must have blocked it. Like childbirth.

3 comments:

Lorrie Veasey said...

LOL. What does she say when you ask her about her school day? Because at my home conversation with my 7 yo goes something like this:

Me: How was your day?
He: Good.
Me: Did you do anything exciting?
He: Nope.
Me: Did you see friends?
He: Yep
Me: Did you have a good time?
He: Yep.

It's a wonder I have any teeth left.

Momo Fali said...

I tell my daughter all the time that what she spent 20 minutes telling me, could have been told in three sentences.

Erica said...

Lorrie - I've stopped asking< "How was your day?" and started asking, "So, what's the news from fifth/first grade?"

Sometimes they even respond. =-)

Momo - Seriously. Three tops. Killing me, she is. Lawdy.