12/01/2007

FOOD, FUN, MUSIC AND MERRIMENT

I know I said I was going to slow down with the posting. And I just might. But today I am feeling so very merry. And I had to change my banners and I was thinking about this month and how much fun it is. And how much work that is. And how much better it all is with Christmas music and a hot beverage (perhaps served with a cookie).

So I may be sharing some recipes or some favorite songs. I may be around here quite a bit. Or I might disappear. But you know when you know you are slipping day by day into a sad place? Each day a little darker and sadder than the day before and there is nothing you can do to stop it?

I am doing the OPPOSITE of that. Day by day I am getting happier and happier. And mania like this needs an outlet. Believe me!

So, for starters let's have a cookie, shall we?

Here is a cookie that takes me back to my childhood in an instant. We called them Vienna Dream Bars. Because I think that is what Betty Crocker called them. Whatever you call them, here they are. (Thanks, Razzle Dazzle Recipes for posting the perfect recipe so I don't have to work so hard!)

Date Crumb Bars

FILLING:
1 lb Whole pitted dates
2/3 cup Golden brown sugar; packed
2/3 cup Orange juice
1 tbsp Vanilla extract

CRUST:
1 1/2 cups Old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups Flour
1 cup Golden brown sugar; packed
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 pinch Salt
1 cup Unsalted butter; chilled, cut into pieces
3/4 cup Walnuts; coarsely chopped

Stir dates, brown sugar, and orange juice in medium saucepan over med. heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until dates are tender and syrup is thick, about 3 minutes. Cool; mix in vanilla. Puree filling in processor until smooth.

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

Crust:
Mix oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal and forms most clumps.

Firmly press half of crumb mixture onto bottom of prepared pan. Spread filling over crust. Add walnuts to remaining crumb mixture and sprinkle over filling.

Bake until topping is golden brown; about 40 minutes. Cool in pan. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature) Cut into squares, serve.

3 comments:

Momo Fali said...

Wow. That's contagious! I'm merrier now too!

Quilter said...

I remember a Betty Crocker Vienna Dream Bar, but it had cocnut & pecans, not dates. I am looking for THAT recipe --- got any ideas??

Anonymous said...

Just to specify: Betty Crocker called THESE bars (the ones w/the dates in them) "Date Nut Bars". The others, called "Vienna Dream Bars", had the coconut & pecans that "Quilter" says she remembers; & she is indeed correct about that name & content. I remember these 2 names AND what each concerned b/c we made BOTH every week at my house (& yet somehow, no one was fat! Eeek... how did we get away with that? Ah, youth!)

Anyway... hope this helps clear up the confusion. And thank you for this wonderful Date Nut Bar recipe here -- I've never seen another ANYwhere (nor have I found one for Crocker's divine "Vienna Dream Bars") since the company stopped making those two mixes. NOW let's find the other recipe, too, & correct their mistake completely. :-)